There are less than two months left for it to hit the billboard Ghost in the Shell: The Soul of the Machinethe new movie Scarlett Johansson. As you well know, it is an adaptation of the Ghost in the Shell anime film released in 1995. A true classic of Japanese animation and cyberpunk! In both one and the other, the protagonist is Motoko Kusanagi, a cyborg who leads section 9, an elite body that investigates crimes related to cyberbrains and the “augmented” in general. Here you have the most recent Ghost in the Shell trailer in its 2017 version:
Ghost in the Shell – The soul of the machine – Spot Super Bowl
Now, do you know how it all originated? What came before the Mamoru Oshii movie? In this video report we show you a good part of the works that exist around Ghost in the Shell (originally known as Kokaku Kidotai in Japan): there are manga, movies, series and even video games. If you want a quick guide, this is what you need to know:
- The original manga was published in Spain under the name of Ghost Special Patrol. Both this manga and the later ones are the work of Masamune Shirow, also known for works such as Orion. It is in this original manga that the anime film known to all is manga and, therefore, also the new film by Scarlett Johansson.
- Then came the Ghost in the Shell anime film (directed by Mamoru Oshii), which later had a kind of “remastering” with some computer scenes called Ghost in the Shell 2.0.
- The manga continued with Human Error Processor 1.5 (a kind of intermission in which one dived into the day to day of section 9) and Man Machine Interface, the true manga sequel to Ghost in the Shell, with a fully integrated Kusanagi in cyberspace. Both works are, again, by Masamune Shirow.
- For its part, the film had the sequel Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence, also by Mamoru Oshii. It has nothing to do with ManMachine Interface and focuses on Batou (Kusanagi’s partner) and his search for meaning in life. We especially recommend it.
- In addition to these more canonical continuations, there is another animated film called GITS The Rising. This time Oshii is not the director and focuses on Kusanagi’s past and the search for his origins before transcending.
- There are 2 animation series: Stand Alone Complex Y Ariseboth independent from each other, but inspired by the stage in which Kusanagi leads section 9. Both generated special films.
- There is Ghost in the Shell video game for PS One and three others inspired by Stand Alone Complex for PS2, PSP and PC.
Ghost in the Shell – Concept Art (6 images)
Later we will dive into the most important works, but for now you have a good amount of homework to catch up on. Who had a cyber brain to encompass everything with ease! The Ghost in the Shell movie The Soul of the Machine opens on March 31.
We want to say thanks to the author of this post for this outstanding material
Ghost in the Shell – Movies and manga of this saga
Check out our social media profiles and other pages that are related to them.https://orifs.com/related-pages/